Pages

Friday, September 23, 2011

Recording our Dreams (Wim Wenders).

Today I woke up to the news that the future is finally here: Some scientists are working on a machine that will be able to record our dreams.

Top row shows images subjects saw on video. Bottom row shows the corresponding images reconstructed by a computer based on the subject's brain activity. (AP photo/University of California, Berkeley, Shinji Nishimoto).

I was transported back to my teens and to one of my favorite movies: Until the end of the World by Wim Wenders (better known for the movie Buena Vista Social Club). 
Over a decade in the making, filmed in 15 cities of 7 different countries, Until the end of the World was released in 1991. The setting is 1999 and the plot is part mystery, part science fiction, and the ultimate road movie. For the score, Wenders asked various artists to write songs as they thought music would be like in 1999. The result is one of my favorite soundtracks of all time. I listened to it ceaselessly! Even my dad would hum to the songs. I bet he can still remember them today.


A dream recorder seems like a very cool invention with tons of practical uses, but judging on how things turn out both in Until the end of the World and this other movie (coincidentally also set in 1999), I am not quite convinced it is a good idea.

I am pretty sure I would spend more time than necessary watching and re-watching my dreams.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...