Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

Everybody's Fault.

Picture and more info about the SAF here


Early this morning the San Andreas Fault woke me up with quite a rattle.
The bed was shaking and I could hear the room creaking.
Having grown up in Mexico City, I am quite familiar with earthquakes (most notably I experienced this one when I was just a girl). So, it was funny for my sleepy self to think that all that shaking was caused by an epic raccoon fight on the roof.
The quake was over very quickly, giving me no time to get up or react.
I was back asleep in no time at all.

The way I see it, it is best to have periodic smallish quakes often rather than not to have them in a while, as the energy of the earth's plaques is released with fury when that happens.

This one, however, is the strongest I have felt in quite some time (4.0). After all I was, quite literally, sleeping right on top of the fault!

Have you ever been in an earthquake?
What was your first thought about what was going on?

I would love to hear your stories,
R

PS. For an interactive  map of the San Andreas Fault click here, and for a comprehensive explanation about how the Fault shapes the San Francisco Bay Area visit here.

4 comments:

  1. I used to have nightmares about earthquakes as a child. We have them very routinely here in Anchorage. My nightmare was that I was in a hardware store with my parents, and the ground and everything would start to shake and come off the shelves. In the dream, it was a giant's footsteps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy: I can't think of a scarier place to be in an earthquake than a hardware store! Specially if you are just a kid. Towering shelving, cans and sharp stuff falling around you. I like the giant steps interpretation, though. I love kid's fantastic imagination.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I didn't even know there was an earthquake Monday. I like the idea of an epic raccoon fight, those little guys do get pretty down and dirty. I grew up in LA, and lived through several bigger earthquakes. I remember my parents frantically trying to wake me up during one when I was little, but I just kept on sleeping like it was no big deal. I am much less stoic as an adult. Now I get wobbly knees every time the ground starts shaking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clare: I remember laughing and laughing at the 1895 earthquake. I just thought it was so weird to feel the building swaying! (We lived on a fourth floor and were getting ready for school). It was like being on a crazy fair ride. I remember looking out the window and seeing the ground rise from left to right and back over and over again. Of course it wasn't the ground but the building that moved. Afterwards, when we went outside and saw the destruction and pain, I had nothing to laugh about. It is probably the saddest thing I have lived through.
      So, needless to say, my knees wobble at the slightest shake.

      Delete

I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...