Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Monterey's Aquarium

A couple of weeks ago J attended EcoFarm, a prominent forum for organic farmers to meet and discuss the latest research, methods and advances in eco-friendly farming techniques.
While he attended lectures on pond management, natural pest control, fruit tree pruning, beekeeping, and seed swaps, I visited one of my favorite places in the whole wide world: the Monterey Bay Aquarium.
Their displays are incredible, with fresh ocean water pumped into their tanks several times a day. The Aquarium's building used to be a cannery, so if you go pay attention to the huge canning ovens as you enter.
I was lucky to visit on a slow day, as it can be a bit crazy in there with tons of kids, strollers and groups. If you can ignore them all, the Aquarium is like a dream come true. Go early, as you won't want to leave. Also, eat at the restaurant (past the café), it is a bit pricey but super chill, with delicious food, wine, ocean views and your own pair of binoculars at each table.
Oh, and remember to charge your camera's battery the night before you visit, as it is super easy to run out of power with all the spectacular displays!














For more info and to see the creatures in the pictures in action, plus live feed from their research submarines, make sure to visit the  Aquarium's site.





4 comments:

  1. Cheers for type B blogging! (I have not figured out how to get someone's email address and reply to a post... Someday?)

    As for this post, one of my favorite places to visit here in Alaska is the Sea Life Center in Seward. I could stare at the jellyfish all day. But alas I am one of those people following my too young kids around for the most part... so I have to keep it brief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy:
      One of the best times of my life was when I was a nanny (I still thing of those girls almost everyday!) and I can't think of a better place to take a little one. I should have mentioned in my post that it is also a treat to see kid's faces when they get a first glance of a crazy looking creature, and their questions are always spot on. I have been thinking lately that we never really grow up, juts get edited by life and society, so we adults are shy kids in reality. At the Aquarium I got many answers to the questions I did not dare to ask by tagging behind young kids!
      As for replying, in my blog it is an option right under your comment. Don't ask me how that happened! I do not have your e-mail address, but blogger forwards you my replies there.

      Delete
  2. I just love this aquarium. I spent a lot of time in Monterey when I went to college across the bay -- what an enchanting, breathtaking place. I miss it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pea: I did not know you went to Santa Cruz! I did too, maybe many years ago before you did. Mr. J and I met there in 2009. What an amazing school, and what a fun city to hang out and skip class in! Driving back from our Monterey adventure we had to stop by SC to have lunch at Café Brazil. Yum, yum, yum...

      Delete

I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...